Apply Yourself Florida
Apply Yourself Florida is part of the American College Application Campaign, a nationwide effort to increase the number of low-income and first-generation students applying to college. This event gives students the opportunity to complete their college applications during normal school hours with the help of trained volunteers.
When is Apply Yourself Florida?
Host sites hold Apply Yourself Florida events in October or November, depending on their specific needs. If you would like to learn about events hosted in your area, contact Adriana Pavicic, FCAN’s Community Engagement Coordinator.
- A computer lab for students to use during the event
- A site coordinator to serve as point person and organizer of the event
- Volunteers to assist students during the event
- A strategy to collect data about how many students attend the event and how many applications are submitted
- Organize a planning committee to help implement and promote the event.
- Seek support from your area’s Local College Access Network (LCAN).
- Host other college-going culture activities during the week leading up to the event. See the Plan It Florida toolkit for more ideas.
- Distribute the Apply Yourself Student Guide to make sure students are prepared to submit their applications.
Check out our resources below to learn more about hosting an event:
- Student Instructions Handout
- Senior Sign-Out Form
- Parent information and follow-up letters (English and Spanish)
- Volunteer Recruitment letter, Reference Guide, and Thank You letter
- Volunteer Training presentation
- Business outreach phone script, donation request letter, and thank you letter
- Sample press release and newsletter article
- Apply Yourself Florida Data Collection Survey Template
Flyers and Posters:
Apply Yourself Florida Student Guide Handouts:
- What’s My Ideal College Worksheet
- College Visit Profile Worksheet
- Writing Your Personal Statement handout
- Requesting a Recommendation Letter & Brag Sheet
- You’ve Applied! Next Steps
- Applying for Financial Aid
- Scholarship Organizer (Collier County)
- Summer Transition Checklist
- How to Pay for College
- The Great College Application Adventure flow chart