- Dr. Steve J. Rios, Senior Director, Positive Pathways Program
- Brett McNaught, CEO, Educate Tomorrow and Supervisor of Positive Pathways Program
- Wendy Joseph, College Coach, Educate Tomorrow at Miami Dade College
FCAN host: Adriana Pavicic, Community Engagement Coordinator
Too often, youth in foster care are unaware of the resources available for them to achieve an education beyond high school. From tuition exemptions to housing supports, wrap-around services to college liaisons, exposure to the right professionals and information can ensure these students succeed in college. Although more students are enrolling in college from adoptive homes and relative care, the number of college students who aged out of foster care is decreasing. Positive Pathways plays an instrumental role in forming higher education primary points of contact so students aging out of foster care can receive assistance to obtain and complete their education. College liaisons are there to connect students to resources ensuring they have the opportunity to create a successful future. Critical to that success is a seamless team of support that includes district, higher education, and community care personnel.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- The various state resources available to pursue education beyond high school for students in foster care
- Key contacts in the community and at Florida colleges and universities that can support foster youth postsecondary success
- Strategies to create a seamless transition from high school to college with community partners
* This webinar is designed for school counselors and college access partners.
Webinar: Preparing Students in Foster Care for Postsecondary Success
Date and Time: Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 1 -2 p.m. EST